Now Hiring: Managing Editor
Traditional publishing standards. Future-focused vision. Human-first values.
Do you love supporting mission-driven authors almost as much as you love developing life-enhancing books? Dream of producing wildly successful nonfiction titles with a team of passionate and talented humans who are actually happy at work?
You just might find your next home here at Wonderwell as our Managing Editor.
Proudly future-focused, we believe there’s never been a better time to work in publishing—at least for those who want to flip the industry on its head and create new ways to make publishing more rewarding for authors.
Yep, we’re talking about you. That’s right, we see you.
You’re talented, ambitious, and ready to step into a new role at a small and growing company with an exciting vision for the future of publishing. Maybe you’re feeling frustrated with the lack of advancement opportunities in your current position at a Big Five publisher, or disenchanted with their bureaucracy or company values. (Been there.)
From your impressive track record as a managing editor for adult trade nonfiction books, it’s clear that you’re a meticulous and organized multitasker with exceptionally strong copyediting and writing skills, people-management skills, and the ability to meet deadlines. That matters a lot to us.
At Wonderwell, you will coordinate the development and production of 10–15 books per year in our key categories of business, health and wellness, personal growth, inspiration, and memoir. With your keen eye for detail and your diplomatic and decisive ability to keep projects, staff, and freelancers on task and on schedule, you’ll play a pivotal role in building our reputation as the hybrid publisher of choice for thought leaders, influencers, activists, and artists.
In your role as Managing Editor for Wonderwell, you will…
- Coordinate with different departments to manage publishing schedules and deadlines.
- Copyedit and proofread numerous books in house style, and hire, supervise, and manage contractors.
- Copyedit jacket copy, retail copy, book proposals and Wonderwell material.
- Interface with authors as point person and project manager.
- Coordinate with the printer on schedule, pricing, specs, first printing, and reprints.
- Guide and coordinate books in line with editorial and contract briefs, and maintain company workflow of tasks.
- Make sure all files are editorially accurate and the required quality during all stages—galleys, proofs, etc.
- Lead project status and internal project planning meetings: proactively flagging overdue or near-due tasks.
- Handle e-book production and audiobook production.
- Manage production of advanced reader copies/galleys.
- Manage and input metadata.
- Monitor and continually improve workflows and processes for consistency and efficiency.
Skills and Experience
- Three to five years of experience in traditional book publishing.
- Strong copyediting and proofreading skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Google Workspace, and project management software.
- Exceptional attention to detail, processes, and systems.
- Excellent people-management skills.
- Strong problem-solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Analytical, forward thinking, and proactive.
- Superb organizational and time-management skills; inclination to prioritize and multitask.
- Editorial experience and understanding of the marketplace to complete competitive market research.
- Strong editorial instinct to evaluate submissions and write reports for publisher’s consideration, and review first galleys.
- Ability to hire and coordinate with designers on book cover concepting and execution.
This is a full-time W2 position. You will work largely from home and preferably be a resident of California legally entitled to work in the United States.
The Benefits of Working at Wonderwell
We value work-life balance with flexible hours, time off for all federal holidays, and generous vacation packages. Full-time employees are eligible for our benefits program, including health insurance, life insurance, and 401(k) contributions.
Get to Know Us
Wonderwell is a values-led, boutique hybrid publishing company that develops and publishes award-winning nonfiction books that help, heal, and inspire. Founded in Vancouver, Canada in 2013 (then known as LifeTree Media), we relaunched as Wonderwell in 2020 and are now based in Los Angeles.
We are a woman-owned, LGBTQ-friendly organization, and an equal-opportunity employer. In our publishing program and work environment, we champion diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our mission is to make life more rewarding for authors and readers.
Our company was founded on the principle that every human being has an essential contribution to make, and that our most significant contributions are intimately tied to our personal satisfaction in life. In other words, we can all make the world a bit of a better place just by being in the right job. If you’re deeply experienced in (but disenchanted by) traditional publishing, and you want to get in on the ground at an innovative small company with a big vision for future growth, we want to hear from you!
If this sounds like what you’ve been looking for, we invite you to apply to join our team by completing the application form at the link below. (Note: If you have a Google account, you will be prompted to log in before completing the form.)