Now Hiring: Sales and Marketing Director for LA-based Book Publisher (Full Time)
Los Angeles-based hybrid publisher Wonderwell is seeking a Sales and Marketing Director to lead our Marketing department, accelerate the performance of our life-enhancing trade nonfiction books, and deliver powerful platform-building services to our authors. This is a senior leadership role within a small and growing company, with central responsibilities ranging from strategy setting and team management to boots-on-the-ground implementation.
We are looking for an experienced book marketing specialist with a deep understanding of positioning and market trends, and a track-record of planning and executing marketing plans that deliver strong sales results. The Sales and Marketing Director is also responsible for designing and executing campaigns to raise the profile of the Wonderwell brand, marketing our publishing program to authors, and growing our audience and platform. The successful candidate will possess deep experience in both traditional marketing strategies such as trade reviews, promotions, author events, and media campaigns, as well as data-driven digital marketing tools and strategies, from keyword and metadata optimization to digital advertising campaigns and online community building.
This role calls for a talented writer with a gift for delivering sales copy that converts in all requisite manifestations, from tip sheets to landing pages to newsletters and social media posts. Candidates should have a familiarity with and interest in the key topic spaces in which we publish, namely business / entrepreneurship, health and wellness, personal development, and self-help.
Key areas of responsibility:
Drive sales of our award-winning nonfiction books, both in the trade and direct to consumer.
- Set the marketing strategy for each new title.
- Collaborate directly with authors and the sales and editorial teams to communicate, refine, and execute marketing plans, including all aspects of these campaigns.
- Continually monitor, measure, and compile reports on our book sales.
- Incorporate insights and data about available audiences for each book that we publish and surface ways to reach them through advertising, promotion and social media while also keeping up-to-date on new platforms and marketing methods.
- Manage book awards program; develop annual list and schedule of book awards and identify titles for submission; write and submit applications.
- Manage digital and trade advertising initiatives; manage advertising budget and create advertisements using design templates.
Package, promote, and deliver marketing services to our authors.
- Develop marketing service packages: create service package P&Ls, define deliverables, and create promotional materials for these services.
- Ensure that revenue targets from the sale of marketing services are met.
- Provide marketing consultation and book launch coaching to authors.
- Plan and execute author platform-building initiatives.
- Write copy for tip sheets, book information packages, pitches, and press kits.
- Work with our designers to create attractive, on-brand marketing collateral.
- Liaise with authors’ outside publicity teams to direct campaign messaging and facilitate provision of ARCs and other promotional materials.
Drive awareness of our brand and demand for our publishing program.
- Design and execute promotions and content marketing campaigns to promote our program to prospective authors.
- Drive community engagement with our brand on social media.
- Design and execute company growth initiatives such as email automation, webinars, and digital courses.
- Plan and execute public and online events.
Lead and manage our Marketing department.
- Set and maintain departmental policies.
- Hire, supervise, and manage contractors and staff.
- Consistently monitor and improve workflows and processes for consistency and efficiency.
- Minimum of three years’ prior experience in a senior position in trade nonfiction book marketing.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and copywriting skills.
- Fluency in key book marketing strategies and tools, including email list-building and social media.
- Proficiency in Word, Asana, G-Suite, Mailchimp, Keynote, Canva, and all major social media platforms.
- Working knowledge of Amazon Marketing Services, Goodreads, NetGalley, and other common book marketing vehicles.
- The ability to meet deadlines, multitask, problem-solve, and prioritize effectively.
- Strong people-leadership skills and proven ability to manage a diverse, remote team of staff, contractors, and vendors.
- A keen aesthetic sense and an eye for design; basic graphic design skills are an asset
- Experience with serving clients in an agency-type business
- Experience with podcasting and / or video production
This is a full-time, salaried W2 remote working position, with priority given to residents of Los Angeles or California. Must be legally entitled to work in the United States. Full-time employees may be eligible for our benefits program, including health and dental insurance and 401(k) contributions.
Apply to join our team by emailing your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to meeting you!