Now Hiring: Senior Editor
Do you love supporting mission-driven authors almost as much as you love developing life-enhancing books? Do you dream of producing wildly successful nonfiction titles that help, heal and inspire with a team of passionate and talented individuals who are genuinely happy at work?
You might just find your next home here at Wonderwell as our Senior Editor.
Proudly future-focused, we believe there has never been a better time to work in publishing—especially for those who want to revolutionize the industry and create new ways to make publishing more rewarding for authors.
Yep, we’re talking about you. That’s right, we see you.
You’re talented, ambitious, and ready to step into a new role at a small and growing company with an exciting vision for the future of publishing. Perhaps you feel frustrated with the lack of advancement opportunities in your current position at a Big Five publisher, or you’re disenchanted with their bureaucracy and company values. (We’ve been there.)
Based on your impressive track record as an editor for adult trade nonfiction books, it’s evident that you possess exceptionally strong conceptual and writing skills, as well as strong people management skills. You have deep experience in concepting and developing successful adult nonfiction. That matters a lot to us because you will play a pivotal role in building our reputation as the go-to hybrid publisher for thought leaders, influencers, activists, and artists.
This is a full-time, exempt, salaried W2 position in Los Angeles, CA. While you will mostly work from home, occasional travel may be required. We prefer candidates who are residents of California or New York and legally entitled to work in the United States.
- Familiarity with and interest in the key topic spaces in which we publish, namely personal development, self-help, health and wellness, and business/entrepreneurship,
- Maintain an up-to-date awareness of reader trends and timely topics,
- Develop marketable book concepts, positioning statements, and outlines in collaboration with authors,
- Hire, assign, and manage freelance designers and editors, ensuring all work is done to a very high creative and technical standard,
- Perform developmental and substantive edits on an average of eight titles per year,
- Coach authors through concept development and during the writing process,
- Work with art directors/designers on book cover concepting and execution,
- Write and deliver jacket copy and provide input on the development of marketing materials,
- Participate in project planning and status meetings,
- Launch and present titles at key sales meetings,
- Evaluate select submissions for consideration,
- Perform manuscript assessments and scope projects,
- Review and approve designed interior pages, and
- Conduct and document market research and comparative title research.
Who You Are:
- You have five to seven years of experience in traditional book publishing as an in-house developmental and substantive editor. (Applicants without experience in book trade publishing will not be considered.)
- You are a creative thinker who enjoys shaping books from their earliest stage of conceptual development to completion.
- You have deep knowledge of publishing processes and book consumer trends.
- You have a keen sense of book positioning.
- You genuinely have an interest in books on personal development, business, health, wellness, and spirituality.
- You possess excellent writing and editing skills.
- You are well-organized and methodical, with fastidious attention to detail.
- You thrive in a digitally managed remote workplace.
- You approach working with authors to resolve issues and creative differences with a diplomatic, solution-focused mindset.
- Having a keen visual eye is an asset, particularly experience in directing the work of book designers.
- You are available for occasional travel.
- You are a strategic thinker who is business growth-oriented and passionate about innovation in publishing.
The Benefits of Working at Wonderwell
We value work-life balance and offer flexible hours, including time off for all federal holidays, and generous vacation packages. Full-time employees are eligible for our benefits program, including health insurance, life insurance, and 401(k) contributions.
Get to Know Us
Wonderwell is a values-led, boutique hybrid publishing company that develops and publishes award-winning nonfiction books that help, heal, and inspire. Founded in Vancouver, Canada in 2013 (then known as LifeTree Media), we relaunched as Wonderwell in 2020 and are now based in Los Angeles.
We are a woman-owned, LGBTQ-friendly organization, and an equal-opportunity employer. In our publishing program and work environment, we champion diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our mission is to make life more rewarding for authors and readers.
Our company was founded on the principle that every human being has an essential contribution to make, with our most significant contributions intimately tied to our personal satisfaction in life. In other words, we can all make the world a bit better just by being at the right job. If you’re deeply experienced in (but disenchanted by) traditional publishing and are looking to join an innovative small company with a big vision for future growth, we want to hear from you!
If this sounds like what you’ve been looking for, we invite you to apply to join our team by completing the application form at the link below. (Note: If you have a Google account, you will be prompted to log in before completing the form.)